- Title: Out of My Mind
- Author: Sharon M. Draper
- Publisher: Atheneum
- AR Level: 4.3
- Lexile Level: 700
- Order it on Amazon
Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video-camera that’s always recording. Always. And there is no delete button. She’s the smartest kid in her whole school but NOBODY knows it. Most people-her teachers and doctors included-don’t think she’s capable of learning, and up until recently, her school days consist of listening to the same preschool level alphabet lessons over and over again and again and again.
If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows…but she can’t because Melody can’t talk. She can’t walk. She can’t write. Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind-that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever.
At last, Melody has a voice.
But not everyone around her is ready to hear it.
WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS FROM NOW ON
Scroll all the way down if you would like to see the final ratings, where there are no spoilers.
- I loved the message. Out of My Mind teaches that people are not always as they seem, and to be kind to everyone no matter what.
- I really liked how the ending was the exact same as the beginning. “Words. I’m surrounded by thousands of words, maybe even millions.” “Words have always swirled around me like snowflakes-each one delicate and different, each one melting in my untouched hands,”
- The writing style was spot-on! Melody has a very interesting perspective on things. (In a good way!)
- This book is very thought-provoking. What’s it really like to have cerebral palsy? How does Melody overcome her many challenges and stay true to herself?
- All the characters were so complex. Especially Melody! Catherine, Mrs. V, Rose, Melody’s Mom, Penny…
- Claire and Molly were mean.
But that doesn’t really count, because they were complex, 3 dimensional characters
Claire and Molly were mean.
There we go!
I hate to say this, but there was really NOTHING bad about this book in terms of enjoyment, writing style, character development, plot, life lesson, ect.
My favorite part was when the Whiz Kids won the trivia competition. I was really excited to hear that after all the hard work Melody put in (and her teammates) they won!
“I am extremely pleased to announce that the team that will represent us in Washington, D.C., this year, the team that we hope to see on Good Morning America, with a score of eighty-six to eighty-five is…” He paused for effect. “Spaulding Street Ellamentry School!”
I couldn’t help it. I squealed. I kicked. My arms jerked crazily. I tried really hard to control it, but my body went a little wacko on me.
-Page 222, Chapter 25
Melody was so thrilled that she couldn’t even control her happiness. Obviously, Claire had a snide comment to make (“Shut her up,” I heard Claire hiss) good thing the wonderful Rose stood up to her (“Shhh,” Rose whispered through clenched teeth).
My favorite character is Catherine because she was kind to Melody from the beginning. Catherine is intelligent and funny. And of course, we can’t forget how she stood up to Melody when even Mr. Dimming (the teacher) didn’t help her.
“I did not help her! Did it ever occur to you that she might have some smarts of her own?”
-Page 152, Chapter 17
These words prove that Catherine truly cares about Melody and wants the best for her. She is willing to stand up for her and do what is right, even if it makes her look bad in front of Mr. Dimmings.
- Will Melody get another chance in 6th grade at the Whiz Kids competition? If she does get in, will she accept it? Will Spaulding Street Ellamenrty School win and go to Washington D.C.?
- Will Melody stay at Spaulding Street Ellamentry School, even after the Quiz Team left her behind?
- Will Mr. V (or somebody else) ever teach Melody how to walk?
Enjoyment: 🍩 Donut (43/50)
Educational Value/Life Lesson:🍦 Ice Cream (48/50)
Characters: 🍦 Ice Cream (48/50)
Plot: 🍩 Donut (40/50)
Pacing: 🍩 Donut (42/50)
Writing Style: 🍦Ice Cream(49/50)
OVERALL: 🍦 Ice Cream (45/50)
Thank you for reading this post. I you have not already please follow my blog and click like. Happy reading and stay stellar!